Thursday, December 25, 2014

My Malthusian Universe

It's Christmas, December 25. In 1 week we'll leave 2014 and I'm shameful that I almost let this year slip without writing anything in this blog! What can I say? I'm trapped in my own version of Malthusian Universe ;-)

I'm sure most of you have ever heard of Robert Malthus, an English cleric and scholar who established a theory of population growth. In his book "An Essay on the Principle of Population", Malthus proposed:


"Population, when unchecked, increases in a geometrical ratio. Subsistence increases only in an arithmetical ratio. A slight acquaintance with numbers will shew the immensity of the first power in comparison to the second"


Yep! Let's change the word "population" here with the word "work" or (ehmmm... ) "professional load" here, and "subsistence" with "leisure time". There you go! You now know why I've been neglecting this blog more more than a year. I have work, work, work. Both my professional career as researcher and as a mom keep adding things to be done - and less time to write.

The Malthusian Universe also exists in my social life, can you believe it? In this life, please change the word "population" with "babies". Keep the word "leisure time" for the substitute of "subsistence". Now you understand why I barely keep up with my social call to visit the new offsprings of my friends.

You know... up to today, I have 3 babies on the list to visit. Lila, the daughter of my cousin who was the flower girl on my wedding, was born 3 days ago. But I couldn't visited her yet! And I haven't visited Anthea, the daughter of my other cousin, who was born last month. Nor have I visited Dena, the daughter of a pair of good friends, who was born two months ago.

Well... in my defense, I've successfully crossed a name from my to-do list: Diva, the daughter of another pair of good friends. She was born January 2014, and I visited her this month. Yay! It took 11 months, but I finished it! 

The sense of accomplishment doesn't live long, though! When I visited Diva, I've been informed that Diva will have a younger brother or sister next May 2015. Duh! I have to add the "unborn baby" to the list right after I crossed Diva's name ;-) Back to square one.

And I haven't even visited Rigpa, a son of another pair of people I respected so much. Rigpa was born only 2 years ago. Such an achievement, isn't it? :-D But Rigpa lives in Bali, so I get an excuse for this. I think I'd use this excuse to wait until Rigpa got married before finally visiting him ;-)

So... as you see, I live in Malthusian Universe. Am experiencing Malthusian Catastrophe. Without the possibility of Malthusian Solution: controlling the "population". "Welcome to My Paradise" never sounds so out of place ;-) 

"Soy un perdedor . I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me?" 

But there is always time for another song, isn't it? So I prefer to end this posting with another song than "Loser". What should it be? "Titanium" by David Guetta? Or "I Will Survive"  by Gloria Gaynor? Too vintage, probably. How's about Destiny's Child's "Survivor"? :-D :-D